The Next Generation Japan Leadership Network was an exchange program providing opportunities for young Japanese scholars to deepen their expertise on important issues surrounding U.S.-Japan relations through discussions with policymakers, government officials, and opinion leaders in Japan and the United States. It was administered in 2013-2014 by the Mansfield Foundation, with the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs as grantor.
- Identify young Japanese scholars who demonstrate an interest in and potential for becoming leaders and specialists in U.S.-Japan relations and support them in this effort
- Strengthen and expand the network of emerging generation of Japanese professionals engaged in U.S.-Japan relations
- Increase the visibility of young Japanese scholars and provide opportunities for engagement with policymakers and the private sector in Japan and the United States
- Encourage new Japan-related research and projects and collaboration among participants
- November 8-9, 2013: Tokyo, Japan
- March 3-7, 2014: Washington, D.C.
- March 7-9, 2014: Warrenton, Virginia