ABOUT THE FOUNDATION AND ROLE
The Maureen and Mike Mansfield Foundation is an independent 501(c)(3) organization that promotes understanding and cooperation among the nations and peoples of Asia and the United States. The Foundation is also a 509(a)(1) public charity, receiving broad domestic and foreign support from Federal grants, philanthropic organizations, corporations, and individuals. Our staff of under twenty individuals across three offices make a big impact with a small footprint. We are seeking to fill the position of Finance Officer in our Accounting & Finance office in Missoula, MT. The Finance Officer provides grant financial administration services to the Washington, D.C., and Tokyo offices, and assists the Director of Finance with the Foundation’s accounting and financial reporting, all done internally. This position reports to the Director of Finance.
Key Duties and Responsibilities Include:
- Semi-monthly payroll accounting for U.S. staff.
- Accounts payable, most critically program participants travel reimbursements & Per diem.
- Accounts receivable billing and collection.
- Support on-time and accurate staff credit cards and out-of-pocket expense reporting.
- General ledger accounting, including foreign currency, prepaid expenses, and other adjusting entries.
- Internal control tasks ensuring compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Contribute to timely completion of month-end and year-end financial close activities & deliverables.
- Manage Mike Mansfield Fellowship Program financials ($1.7M+/yr.), especially fellow allowances.
- Budgeting, financial analysis, and financial reporting for grant proposals and awards.
Secondary Assignments Include:
- Assist the Senior Leadership team with the Foundation’s annual budgeting.
- Support financial audits; supply requested documents and respond to auditor inquiries as directed.
- Team training and development on financial matters.
- Special projects such as tasks for process improvement or information technology initiatives.
- Potentially help supervise paid accounting intern(s).
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance, or significant compensating relevant work experience.
- Technology skills: good at learning & leveraging business software (Sage Intacct experience is a plus).
- Microsoft Excel proficiency and willingness to become more proficient: advanced Excel skills preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Note: Japanese or Korean language ability is preferred but not required.
Some of Your Key Characteristics
Mission-centric. You believe in our mission and are inspired to work to advance it.
Detail-oriented. You embrace detail work when needed, even if it is laborious.
Adaptable & flexible. You manage competing demands and handle the unexpected with equanimity.
Customer service focused. You enjoy helping others in a thoughtful and kind manner.
You’re passionate about being better. You want to develop professionally and love learning.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
- Starting salary of $48,000-$58,000 a year commensurate with qualifications.
- A 5% salary increase after successful completion of a six-month probationary period.
- Possibility of an occasional modest merit-based performance bonus after probation.
- Automatic contribution to 403(b) retirement plan (7.5% of salary) after probationary period (6 months) with no matching requirement.
- Full health, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance coverage; 100% Foundation paid.
- Annual professional development allowance up to $1,500 for approved qualifying use.
- Three weeks annual paid vacation; more after five years of employment.
- Paid holidays (12-13 per year)
- Paid sick leave (96 hours earned annually)
- Hybrid work schedule allowed with approval to work remotely 2-3 days per week.
INFORMATION ON APPLYING
You might not check all our boxes above and still be an excellent candidate. If you think you are close to what we are seeking, we’d be very interested in hearing from you. Focused on bridging geographic, gender, culture, and language divides to better global outcomes, we value diversity and strive to be an inclusive workplace. We encourage applicants from underrepresented backgrounds. Please send cover letter, resume, and references to email@example.com. Application deadline is December 15th.
Relocation assistance may be offered on a case-by-case basis. We will begin interviews this month and fill the position as soon as possible. The successful candidate will be available to start work no later than January 3rd, 2024.