The Maureen and Mike Mansfield Foundation is pleased to announce the selection of the eighth cohort of the Mansfield-PhRMA Research Scholars Program. This international exchange and professional development opportunity brings young pharmaceutical researchers from Japan to the U.S. to learn about translational research, healthcare policy, and regulatory practices through site visits in Washington, D.C., Philadelphia, and Boston. The eighth cohort will participate in a two-week study tour in September 2022.
The 2022 Mansfield-PhRMA program will include eight researchers from Japan’s pharmaceutical research community and two observers from the Pharmaceutical and Medical Devices Agency and the Japan Agency for Medical Research and Development. This program was launched in 2013 and is sponsored by the Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA).
The eighth cohort of the Mansfield-PhRMA Research Scholars Program includes:
- Naohiko Aketa, Research Associate, Division of Regenerative Medicine Support, Clinical and Translational Research Center, Keio University Hospital
- Kazuki Heishima, G-YLC (the Young Leaders Cultivation program)-designated Assistant Professor, Institute for Advanced Study, Gifu University
- Emi Inagaki, Appointed Lecturer, Department of Ophthalmology, Keio University School of Medicine
- Asuka Kawachi, Staff Physician, International Translational Research Section, Department of International Clinical Development / Department of Medical Oncology / Cancer RNA Research Unit, National Cancer Center
- Anna Kiyomi, Assistant Professor, Department of Drug Safety and Risk Management, School of Pharmacy, Tokyo University of Pharmacy and Life Sciences
- Miho Nakajima, Staff Physician, Department of Pediatric Oncology / Department of International Clinical Development, National Cancer Center Hospital
- Yoko Takahashi, Associate Head, Breast Surgical Oncology, Cancer Institute Hospital of Japanese Foundation for Cancer Research
- Yuma Yokoi, Chief, Section of Clinical Research and Educational Promotion, Department of Educational Promotion, National Center of Neurology and Psychiatry, National Center Hospital
Observers in the Mansfield-PhRMA program are selected and funded by their respective agencies. The 2022 program observers are:
- Mayu Fujita, Reviewer, Office of Pharmacovigilance II, Pharmaceuticals and Medical Devices Agency (PMDA)
- Naoko Kojima, Deputy Manager, Office of International Collaboration, Division of International Strategy, Department of International Strategy, Japan Agency for Medical Research and Development (AMED)
The delegation will meet with senior experts in major pharmaceutical research programs, including managers of pharmaceutical research programs in the U.S. government and experts on translating research into commercial opportunities. Upon their return to Japan, the researchers will be expected to share what they learned during the program with their Japanese colleagues and to contribute to Japan’s research and development (R&D) policy reforms in a practical way.