Mansfield Foundation Task Force: Crafting a Contemporary U.S.-Japan Vision for Shared Progress and Prosperity
May 24, 2012
Mansfield Foundation Task Force:
Crafting a Contemporary U.S.-Japan Vision for Shared Progress and Prosperity
Wednesday, June 6, 2012
8:30 a.m.-12:00 p.m. - Room SVC-201, U.S. Capitol Visitor Center
Commemorating the 2012 centennial celebration of Japan’s gift of cherry trees to the United States, the Maureen and Mike Mansfield Foundation, in partnership with the Japan Commerce Association of Washington (JCAW) and the Japanese Chamber of Commerce and Industry of New York (JCCI), convenes the “Mansfield Foundation Task Force on Crafting a Contemporary U.S.-Japan Vision for Shared Progress and Prosperity.” The task force, part of a broader initiative by JCAW and JCCI to commemorate the Cherry Blossom Centennial, comprises nine American Japan experts from the private sector, academia, and government. Reflecting an evolving geopolitical context in the Asia Pacific and the realities of an increasingly globalized world, the task force has been working over the past year to articulate a modern vision for the U.S.-Japan relationship that emphasizes trade and commerce while recognizing the integral relationship between economic vitality and physical security.
Please join the Mansfield Task Force and distinguished discussants at 8:30 a.m., Wednesday, June 6th in the U.S. Capitol Visitor Center (Room SVC-201) for a discussion on their vision for forward-looking strategic initiatives through which the two countries can contribute to mutual economic strength and vitality.
Welcome/Project Overview 8:30AM
- L. Gordon Flake, The Maureen and Mike Mansfield Foundation
- Tsunehiko Yanagihara, Japan Commerce Association of Washington, D.C.
Interim Conclusions and Reflections From Senior Advisory Panel 8:40AM
- Kent Calder, Johns Hopkins University, SAIS
- Alicia Ogawa, Columbia University, Mansfield Foundation Board Member
- Amb. Tom Schieffer, Mansfield Foundation Board Member
Observations and Working Conclusions from the Task Force 9:45AM
- David Boling, Mansfield Foundation
- Emma Chanlett-Avery, CRS
- Nathaniel Graddy, Boeing Japan
- Keith Krulak, U.S Department of State
- Robert Pekkanen, University of Washington
- Kay Shimizu, Columbia University
- Jennifer Sklarew, George Mason University
- Mireya Solis, American University
Please RSVP (with your name, affiliation, phone number) by Friday, June 1, to firstname.lastname@example.org. As capacity is limited, please RSVP promptly to guarantee availability. This event will be held in room 201 of the U.S. Capitol Visitor Center.