The Mansfield Foundation’s Tokyo Office offers full- and part-time unpaid internships for Fall, Spring and Summer terms for undergraduate students, recent graduates and graduate students interested in gaining first-hand experience working in a Japan-U.S. related public policy organization in Tokyo. Candidates should be available at least 2 days a week.
Interns may participate in a variety of activities, including research, writing, translation, and organizing meetings and events. Specific internship duties include, but are not limited to:
- Conducting background research for Mansfield Foundation programs
- Proofreading and editing Mansfield Foundation publications and documents
- Taking notes at internal meetings
- Drafting correspondence
- Assisting with program planning and logistics
- Performing general administrative tasks
- Highly motivated undergraduate, recent graduate or graduate student in good standing and with a strong interest or background in Japan-U.S. related issues or studies
- Native Japanese or U.S. students holding student visa
- Strong English/Japanese reading/written and oral communications skills and attention to detail
- Professional demeanor, excellent problem-solving skills, organizational abilities, and inter-personal skills
- Ability to work with a diverse group of people, both independently and as part of a team.
- Prior office experience is desirable.
- Local transportation cost of your commute (within one hour) to and from the Mansfield Foundation Tokyo office
- Invitations to U.S. related programming and Foundation activities
- Professional development in a challenging environment that prepares interns for full-time employment in a professional setting
- Opportunity to gain experience in areas of office management, event planning, data collection, analysis, and professional writing development
- Cover Letter: Please detail why you want to intern at the Mansfield Foundation’s Tokyo office, your internship objectives and your career goals.
- Résumé: Please list your complete educational and professional data and information about extracurricular activities.
Applications for Fall are accepted and processed throughout August.
Applications for Spring are accepted and processed throughout December.
Applications for Summer are accepted and processed throughout April.
Positions are filled on a first-come-first-served basis.
Send complete applications via e-mail, fax or regular mail to:
Ms. Teruyo Kuramoto
Mansfield Foundation, Tokyo office
Nakata Mac Toranomon Bldg. 1st Floor
1-1-10 Atago, Chiyoda-ku
Tokyo 105-0002, Japan
No phone calls please.